The Role of the School Counselor
The primary function of the School Counselor of The International School of Latvia (ISL) is to promote the academic, personal and social development of all students. The Counselor's office is a safe, confidential, non-judgmental place for anyone in the ISL community to share thoughts, concerns or problems. The School Counselor collaborates with parents and teachers and provides individual counseling, group counseling, school wide programs and classroom lessons. A school counselor is not a therapist or a disciplinarian, instead we are an advocate for healthy, wise choices in any situation.
Counseling services may involve:
- Individual or group counseling
- Conflict resolution
- Supporting ISL staff
- Consultation with parents
- Support and guidance to families
Other aspects of the School Counselor's work are:
- ISL’s Transition program: Helps students, parents and teachers arrive, stay and leave well.
- Middle and High School Advisory
- Second Step program in the Elementary School: Second Step is program designed to teach children how to understand and manage their emotions, be more aware of others’ feelings and teach problem solving and decision making skills. (http://www.cfchildren.org/second-step/elementary)
If you would like to make an appointment to see the Counselor please feel free to email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Front Desk and request an appointment through Ms. Zaiga Virse (371-67755146).
Articles of the Month:
- How to boost your child’s self esteem: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-to-boost-childs-self-esteem_55c2f847e4b0f1cbf1e3bf5b?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
- Tips for back to school transition: http://www.nasponline.org/resources/home_school/b2shandout.aspx
- How to talk about the first day of school: http://www.scholastic.com/parents/blogs/scholastic-parents-learning-toolkit/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-their-day-school
- Information on guiding students through transitions: http://www.parenttoolkit.com/index.cfm?objectid=FC431F50-23CE-11E4-B4B30050569A5318